Not long ago there was only one local upscale restaurant serving up jazz. Things are changing. Take this Friday for instance: the Madison jazz calendar lists drummer Rand Moore and his quartet at Liliana’s, guitarist Cliff Fredericksen with bassist Johhny Widdicombe at Ruth Chris, and guitarist Doug Brown and me (sax) at Delaney’s.
This Thursday Gerri DiMaggio gets a jump on the weekend and begins playing at the Capitol Chop House. Here’s Gerri:
I’m excited about my new Jazz gig at The Capitol Chop House in the downtown Hilton Hotel. I will be playing Thursday’s in February from 6:00 to 9:00. The food will be great, the drinks will be flowing, and love will be in the air! Please join me, Paul Hastil on piano and John Christensen on bass this Thursday on our Maiden Voyage.
Looking for a place to take your honey for Valentine’s day? Well, what could be more romantic than dinner while listening to one of Madison’s most popular jazz vocalists? Gerri DiMaggio performs with her trio every Thursday at the Fountain, and this Thursday is Valentine’s day. Here’s a note from Gerri:
Thursday, February 14th 6:30 to 9:00 at The Fountain, 122 State Street in the back bar. Hearts, flowers, champagne and love songs…. Join us for a special Valentines show this Thursday with Paul Hastil, piano and Matt Heredia, bass and be My Funny Valentine!
As the weather cools down the Madison jazz scene is heating up. This next week is loaded with great jazz. Let’s take a look at the highlights:
Hanah Jon Taylor
- Cardinal Bar 5:30pm. A few weeks ago the Cardinal began a jazz happy hour every Tues from 5:30 to 8. They’re bringing in great players and this week it’s sax/flute musician Hanah Jon Taylor.
- Cardinal Bar 9pm. The New Breed Jazz Jam is now in its second decade and going strong. Rub shoulders with Madison’s best jazz musicians as they mix it up with developing players and the great New Breed.
- The Fountain 6:30 – 9pm, Gerri DiMaggio, Paul Hastil, Nick Moran. Vocalist Gerri DiMaggio has been charming the Madison area for a long time. This Thursday she’ll feature holiday songs from her most recent recording.
- UW Music Hall, Ninety Miles Project 8pm. Not many tickets remain, this will probably be a sellout. Previewed here.
- Memorial Union Rathskellar 5-7pm, The Composers Quartet. This one is rare; a local jazz band, not a pick-up group, doing all original jazz. See the calendar for details.
- The Majestic 8pm, Meschell Ndegeocello. Previewed here.
- Madison Memorial High School 6pm, Second Annual Madison High School Jazz Festival. This all-day festival wraps up with an evening concert featuring student jazz ensembles from Madison East, La Follette, Memorial and West High Schools and Middleton High School, along with the UW Jazz Orchestra.
Posted in Events
Tagged Gerri DiMaggio, Hanah Jon Taylor, Johannes Wallman, live jazz, Madison jazz, Madison Jazz Jam, Meschell Ndegeocello, Ninety Miles Project, Rob Dz, The Composers Quartet, The New Breed
As if it weren’t enough of a treat to see Manhattan Transfer vocalist Cheryl Bentyne for free at Jazz at Five’s final 2012 program on Wednesday, 9/5, the Brink Lounge will present her and her singing partner Mark Winkler in an intimate concert the next night.
Jazz vocalists Cheryl Bentyne and Mark Winkler present their “West Coast Cool” program at the Brink on 9/6
The duo, backed by Madison’s great pianist Dave Stoler and his trio, will perform their “West Coast Cool” program which explores “west coast style,” the more lyrical, mellower style of jazz as opposed to the harder-edged “bop” that tended to be favored on the East Coast. Illuminating the evolution of this style from its beginnings in the ‘50s through today, Bentyne and Winkler will spotlight the work of jazz luminaries like Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker, Chris Connor, June Christy and more.
This show would easily be a $20-25 ticket, plus a 1 or 2 drink minimum, in a big city venue but you can see this show for $10 in advance (or $12 at the door). The show begins at 7:00 PM with a set by Madison’s own star vocalist Gerri DiMaggio and her trio. Advance tickets are now available at www.thebrinklounge.com/September.html. And overflow parking will be available in the MG&E lots around the corner on East Main Street.
For jazz writer Scott Yanow’s review of Ms. Bentyne’s career, visit http://www.allmusic.com/artist/cheryl-bentyne-mn0000108223. To learn more about Ms. Bentyne and Manhattan Transfer, visit: www.manhattantransfer.net
This year, proceeds from Gerri DiMaggio’s annual benefit concert will support the local nonprofit, Madison Music Makers
, a wonderful program that provides music lessons and performance opportunities for low-income kids in our community. The show precedes next Tuesday’s New Breed Jam at the Cardinal.
TUESDAY, DEC. 6
“JAZZ ON A WINTER NIGHT”
A Very Special Happy Hour • 5- 8 pm at THE CARDINAL BAR
BENEFIT FOR MADISON MUSIC MAKERS
Hosted by GERRI DIMAGGIO
with PAUL HASTIL, NICK MORAN, LOUKA PATENAUDE, MICHAEL BRENNEIS (The New Breed), JEFF & ANA PAULA (Samba Novistas), JIM DOHERTY (UW Jazz Orchestra), CHARLIE BROOKS, MEGAN MORAN, LYNETTE MARGULIES, KYLE TRASKA, PETE ROSS and more…..
Free Appetizers! • $10 Suggested Donation
Co-Sponsored by: Bella Productions, Isthmus Publishing, Madison Music Collective, A-1 furniture, Aniu, Culinary Connection
MADISON’S CLASSIC DANCE BAR
Just in time for the holidays Gerri DiMaggio has released a Christmas-themed CD. You can listen to samples and buy it at CD Baby. Here’s Gerri:
This THURSDAY, DECEMBER 1st 6:30 to 9:00 at “The Cove” in The Edgewater Hotel we will be celebrating the Holiday’s with the release of the new CD, “It’s Coming On Christmas”.
Join me, Paul Hastil on piano, and Nick Moran on bass and have a cocktail around the fire with your friends!
We wish you great joy and peace in this holiday season!