As the weather cools down the Madison jazz scene is heating up. This next week is loaded with great jazz. Let’s take a look at the highlights:
- Cardinal Bar 5:30pm. A few weeks ago the Cardinal began a jazz happy hour every Tues from 5:30 to 8. They’re bringing in great players and this week it’s sax/flute musician Hanah Jon Taylor.
- Cardinal Bar 9pm. The New Breed Jazz Jam is now in its second decade and going strong. Rub shoulders with Madison’s best jazz musicians as they mix it up with developing players and the great New Breed.
Mills Concert Hall, UW Humanities Bldg, 7:30-9pm. The UW Jazz Orchestra under the direction of new Professor of Jazz Studies Johannes Wallmann.
- The Fountain 6:30 – 9pm, Gerri DiMaggio, Paul Hastil, Nick Moran. Vocalist Gerri DiMaggio has been charming the Madison area for a long time. This Thursday she’ll feature holiday songs from her most recent recording.
- UW Music Hall, Ninety Miles Project 8pm. Not many tickets remain, this will probably be a sellout. Previewed here.
- Memorial Union Rathskellar 5-7pm, The Composers Quartet. This one is rare; a local jazz band, not a pick-up group, doing all original jazz. See the calendar for details.
- The Majestic 8pm, Meschell Ndegeocello. Previewed here.
- Madison Memorial High School 6pm, Second Annual Madison High School Jazz Festival. This all-day festival wraps up with an evening concert featuring student jazz ensembles from Madison East, La Follette, Memorial and West High Schools and Middleton High School, along with the UW Jazz Orchestra.
Brink Lounge, 3:30. Rob Dz and the New Breed. Spoken word poet Rob Dz composes spontaneously using words instead of music. He usually does one tune on Tuesdays with the New Breed. This is your chance to hear a full length show. Details here.
- The Fountain, 4-7pm. Since moving to the Fountain the Madison Jazz Jam has been packing em in. Developing musicians and pros take turns playing with the house band. This week Dan Wallach is joined by the Rand Moore Trio. See the calendar for details.